Jul 19, 2007

In a lighter vein- seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!

In ancient Greece , Socrates was reputed to hold knowledge in highesteem. One day, an acquaintance met the great philosopher and said,"Do you know what I just heard about your friend?""Hold on a minute," Socrates replied. "Before telling me anything,I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Triple-filterTest.""Triple-filter test?""That's right," Socrates continued. "Before you talk to me about myfriend, it might be a good idea to take a moment and filter whatyou're going to say. That's why I call it the triple-filter test. Thefirst filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure what you areabout to tell me is true?""No," the man said, "actually I just heard about it and...""All right," said Socrates. "So you don't really know if it's true ornot. Now let's try the second filter, the filter of Goodness. Is whatyou are about to tell me about my friend something good?""No, on the contrary...""So," Socrates continued, "you want to tell me something bad abouthim, but you're not certain it's true. You may still pass the test,though, because there's one filter left: the filter of Usefulness. Iswhat you want to tell me about my friend going to be useful to me?""No, not really.""Well," concluded Socrates, "if what you want to tell me is neithertrue nor good nor even useful, why tell it to me at all?"

No comments: